Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome Home

Over Christmas and New Year’s I flew home with my ever-trusty sidekick in tow, Roni, and we sailed from snow drifts to sunshine. My parents citrus trees had gigantor grapefruits hanging from them, and besides a brief adventure to go see the Nutcracker, the fam pretty much stuck around the house for the entire break and ate some of the 12 different kinds of cookies my Mom made, partook in Christmas Ales, sampled my Dad’s new Butternut Squash Soup with Gruyere Croutons, my G-ma’s stuffed brinjol (eggplant) and rice, prime rib and twice-baked potatoes, my Mom’s lamb risotto, and a whole host of other things that I was lucky enough to try. Sniff. I miss you family! And all of the good meals you gave me!

Every day was a challenge to see exactly how much coffee, beer, and wine I could drink, while balancing out all the holiday libations with some serious food. Home Food. And that kind of food ain’t light and fluffy, kids. It’s soul food, the kind of food that comforts you all the livelong day and rocks you to sleep at night.

From The Vagabond Table



It was the most relaxed I’ve felt in ages, and I’m excited to present the kind of dish that captures that feeling and also goes well with big dinners or small, the kind you can throw together after a long day at work (which I did on Monday. Which was no small feat considering the first day of work after a long vacation is, indeed, the longest day ever.) I even had it for lunch the next day and re-heated it for my friend Teresa that night alongside some Poached-Egg Salads for the two of us to munch on and catch up over.

From The Vagabond Table


This Sweet Potato Gratin is heavenly. I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes, and these ones are thinly sliced and layered with sautéed spinach, onion, and garlic. All this is cozily tucked between Parmesan cheese and creamy Bechamel sauce. Oh friends—2010 is here, and this is just the dish to ease you out of 2009 and keep you warm in these ARCTIC FRIGID WINDS that we are so lucky to be experiencing here on the east side. Sweet Potato Gratin is warm, cozy, and it makes you invite friends over to share the wealth.

From The Vagabond Table


I’m convinced 2010 is going to be the year of Adventure. I’ll let you into my 2010 Life Philosophy on the next post (nothing like keeping you on your toes!) And while Sweet Potato Gratin might not be the most exotic or exciting dish you’ll ever try, it’s a solid and sinfully good choice for these chilly days, and really…when is cooking ever not an adventure?

From The Vagabond Table

5 comments:

Jenna Kozel said...

YUM. I think I'm going to make this.

MH said...

it tasted amazing! Yum ...

PS: I love the new Vino Glasses.. :)

DC said...

how did I not try this?? how many points for this one? sweet potatoes and cheese together. What a happy union!

Robert said...

Looks delicious.

Also, title = radical face reference?

Samantha said...

Robert: good one! unintentionally a Radical Face reference, but i should include the video link to that song. so good!

MH: i love the new vino glasses too!

Dc... it was the night that made our whole apt. smell like parm. cheese! ha.